Wednesday, June 24, 2009

She's Ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck!

Hi, all!

No, I haven’t died, been translated or abducted by aliens. I’ve just been somewhat emotionally immobilized these past three months since losing my brother. It’s not that I mope around and cry all the time. I miss him A LOT, but I really don’t. I just can’t seem to get moving again – can barely get even the basic stuff taken care of (meals, laundry, housecleaning, church, grandkids…). Somehow, shopping still comes quite easily, however (LOL). Thank goodness for that! Shopping (even for the mundane, like groceries) can be very therapeutic, you’ll have to agree.

It’s funny, but I’ve been especially melancholy today. The only thing I can attribute it to is that I exchanged emails this morning with Dick’s best friend, Larry, who keeps us posted on his newly-acquired chickens. He built them a ridiculously luxurious chicken “mansion,” and bought them as fluffy babies a number of weeks ago. I keep remembering one of the last times Dick, Sherry & I went next door to visit his neighbor’s chickens (which he dearly loved to do). He sat there quietly for several minutes and then he said, “I’d like to get some chickens next spring.” And then he began to cry (Sherry & I joined him very shortly) because he knew he probably wouldn’t be with us by spring, which sadly turned out to be true. I’ve had to keep pushing that memory to the back of my mind all day to keep the tears at bay. But I continue to have that little hollow, anxious, sad feeling just under my sternum. You know the one... I know I’ll be fine again tomorrow, though.

I’m trying to recall any major events that have happened since coming home on February 6. One biggie is that Darrell had all of his teeth extracted on February 9. He was so sick for over a month afterward – that’s quite a major assault on one’s body. Mostly it’s because he doesn’t do well with anesthesia or heavy-duty narcotic pain meds.

It was close to six weeks before he began feeling normal again. And now that his gums are all healed, his new teeth are a total pain in the posterior. He HATES them, with a Capital H! No kidding, he has threatened to run them over with the car or smash them to bits with a hammer. They don’t fit well, and he has trouble eating and talking, and singing is out of the question (far too many whistle-ey S’s) Poor baby, it sounds awful and he’s so embarrassed. The good news, however, is that the denturist is making him a whole new set. It seems that this is pretty routine and is almost always necessary. The entire mouth is horribly swollen after the extractions, and the initial set of dentures are crafted to accommodate the swelling – who knew! He hopes to have his new choppers within the next couple of weeks. I pray they are better for him.

Another thing is that Steven, our son, came home just a few days before I arrived in February. It’s been such a blessing to rebuild a relationship with him, even though there are still major bumps in the road. He has a sweet girlfriend whom he eventually brought with him all the way from Omaha, NE. She’s African American, which makes absolutely NO difference to us – she’s precious. We like her a whole lot, but guess what – he’s still married! She actually went back home to Omaha a couple of weeks ago, partially because he has taken no steps toward getting a divorce. We have no idea whether she’ll come back here to be with Steven. I’m certain his marriage is pretty much over, but neither of them has moved toward a divorce. He sees his children pretty regularly, which is a very good thing – for them and for him (the main reason he decided to come home). We’re trying to stay completely out of it and just roll with the punches. Believe me, he knows exactly how we feel about the situation, even though we’ve said very little.

I probably already sent each of you a message about Susan’s family working toward mission service in Gulu, Uganda (yup, that would be in deepest, darkest Africa!). They listed their house in May and have begun the deputation process (another word for fundraising). However, so far no bites on their house, and the fundraising is moving very slowly. As human parents/grandparents, we obviously have major misgivings about the whole thing. We just keep praying that God will open and close all the right doors in His perfect timing and according to His perfect plan. Don’t ask me – I’m just a human mom with human concerns and worries! Yikes!!!

Darrell & I and Sherry went last weekend (June 12-14) out to visit Susan & family. Audrey (second-born, age 17) graduated from an Associate of Science program that Friday evening. She graduated with honors (4.0 grade average!) even though she carried a double major. She plans to go to nursing school in the fall, and won’t be going with the family to Africa, should it come to pass by that time.

Then on Saturday afternoon we went to the annual ballet recital from the dance studio Susan’s family is affiliated with (I know, I know – you should never end a sentence with a preposition). Audrey danced her senior solo, which was so beautiful, and Madeline (age 14) danced several numbers in the program. Even Susan’s sweet hubby, Joe, did a tap dance number with a couple of other guys. It’s been so great for the family to be involved there at the dance studio. Susan has taught aerobics and Pilates classes there for the past several years to help with the cost of the children’s dance lessons. Hmmmmm… I wonder if they’d like to learn Pilates in Africa??? If I know my SuSu, she’ll be starting classes as soon as she arrives there.

Sandi continues to struggle with the pain and loss resulting from her unwanted ugly divorce. My heart breaks for her and for the kids – they are still so completely lost, devastated and heartbroken, and her ex loves to twist the knife at every opportunity. It’s so sad! Eighteen years is a long time to pour yourself so completely into something that ultimately collapses, and the love of your life becomes your worst enemy. Unfathomable!

Well, that’s about it from me for now. I actually enjoy keeping up with this blog thing, but I just haven’t been able to make myself sit down and do it until today. Would you please keep our entire family in your prayers.

Love to you all – thanks for your consistent support when I needed it most!

XOXO Joanne


MY TEXT FOR TODAY: Ephesians 6:10-11, 13, 16, & 18 (TLB)

I want to remind you that your strength must come from the Lord’s mighty power within you. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand safe against all strategies and tricks of Satan.

So use every piece of God’s armor to resist the enemy whenever he attacks, and when it is all over, you will still be standing up.

In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the fiery arrows aimed at you by Satan. And you will need the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit—which is the Word of God.

Pray all the time (without ceasing). Ask God for anything [that is] in line with the Holy Spirit’s wishes. Plead with Him, reminding Him of your needs, and keep praying earnestly for all Christians everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!