Saturday, March 14, 2009

How do we play the final quarter of the game?

So... Here I sit in my warm cozy home, with my tummy full of good food and, in spite of my many undeserved blessings, I've never been more uncomfortable in my life. At this moment my darling brother is literally dying as I sit here at my computer. It looks as though his life is counting down to mere days, possibly even hours. I don't know whether to scream or cry or what, so I just sit and stare into space. It's so totally weird and scary to think of him not being there. He's been there almost as long as I can remember (I was 5 when he was born). I took that for granted most of my life - not any more!

Fortunately so far, far Dick has suffered very little pain in connection with his brain cancer. However, today's report was that Dick awoke at 2 a.m. last night complaining extreme pain in his head. Nancy gave him pain medication and they went back to sleep. My mom and sis called mid morning to check on things and Dick was especially bright and alert. They were able to have an actual conversation with him and were so pleased he was doing so well. But when I heard that news, I said to my husband that I hope this isn't the "rally" just before the end. This happens so many times in cases of this type.

Early this afternoon Dick again expressed that he was in excrutiating pain, so Nancy summoned the hospice nurse who administered morphine to quiet the pain. The nurse told Nancy that he probably only has a few days left.

Totally surreal! This is the time we've dreaded for nearly two years, and even spent much of that time in complete denial, pretending it could not possibly actually happen. In a way it's sad and horribly frightening, but in another way it's almost a relief to know that he may not have to suffer much longer. This is so hard and so awful!

Please pray for strength for us who love him so dearly, and for God's perfect will in his life. Also, please pray for my beloved friend, Sonna, and her precious Daddy who, too, is nearing the end of his earthly life.

I love and need you all.

Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!