Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday and counting

Hi, all:

Well, today was a rather intense day - another in a lengthy series. It started out pretty unremarkably (is that a real word?), but morphed into a day of quite another type. My sis-in-law's cleaning lady came today, so we wanted to stay out of her way while she worked. We went up to the backyard "plaza," as my mom calls it, and Dick built a fire. We sat around the fire reading the paper and just hangin' out, and after almost two hours, at about 11:30, my brother said, "She'll be here two more hours - We need an outing!" We asked if food would be involved and were told, yes, that would be part of it.

We went to Dick's favorite taqueria for lunch. They make a scrumptious veggie burrito the size of my head - I'm not kidding! I usually eat half one day and the second half the next day. I helped my brother order, since he has so much difficulty finding words. He wanted to order the burrito, but also wanted to add something. He struggled and struggled, trying to tell us what it was that he wanted. He said his eyes could see it, but he couldn't say the word. He finally gave up and said, "Just get whatever - it doesn't matter," and walked away. I stood there swallowing tears, trying not to make a scene and embarrass him even further. Wow! This is SO HARD, and we're just getting started with "hard!"

I find it so amazing that he could say that entire sentence, but could NOT tell me that he wanted the "chili relleno burrito," which we later learned from his wife. He kept saying, "It's a burrito in a burrito - a second thing, a second thing." I suggested a dozen things I read from the menu board, to no avail. Finally, I apologized for not being smart enough to figure out what he wanted. It was awful, and definitely stole the glint from the moment. He was pretty morose and quiet for the remainder of our "outing." The other sad thing is I had to cut up his burrito for him so he could eat it with the spoon we brought from home. He kept looking from side to side, checking to see if anyone noticed that he, a full-grown man, needed to have his food cut for him. So demoralizing - poor sweetie!

It turns out there was a reason he wanted to go on a outing. For several weeks he's been telling us that he wanted to buy a gold chain for Nancy so that she can wear his wedding ring on the chain. Sitting up there by the fire he had made up his mind that today was the day - he was going to buy the chain TODAY! And the timing is perfect. Nancy's birthday is next Tuesday, so no doubt he will give it to her as a birthday surprise.

A couple of our cousins have asked to come for a visit. We have seen the one cousin in the past few weeks (he lives in Sacramento, and we had lunch with him a couple of weeks ago). The other lives in the Medford area, and we haven't seen her for nearly two decades. She is driving down today to spend some time with Dick. We will all get together tomorrow for lunch and a good visit. We are a bit apprehensive about it, though, since Dick tires so easily and sometimes will have seizures when he gets overtired. And it's super stressful for him, since he's unable to participate in the conversations and the storytelling. They just want to be near him and love him up a little while we still have him with us. I just hope it doesn't wipe him out for the day and cause a giant seizure.

This afternoon while Dick napped, my sis and I dashed down the hill to the post office to pick up the mail and made a quick stop next door at the College Market to grab a couple of things we needed for dinner. We encountered one of Dick's neighbors, who asked us how things are going. We said, not good. She assured us that they are praying for all of us - healing and courage for Dick, and strength for all of us as we make this difficult journey. Again, how does anyone live through life's tough times trying to go it alone? Praise God, we aren't doing this alone! Thank you, Lord, and to you all for being there. It means SO MUCH!

XOXO


MY TEXT FOR TODAY: Isaiah 12:2-6 (NIV)

"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid, for the LORD GOD is my strength and my might; he has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day: Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known his deeds among the nations; proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing praises to the LORD, for he has done gloriously; let this be known in all the earth. Shout aloud and sing for joy, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel."

NOW FROM "The Message:"
"Yes, indeed -- God is my salvation. I trust, I won't be afraid. God -- yes God! -- is my strength and my song, best of all, my salvation!

"Joyfully you'll pull up buckets of water from the wells of salvation. And as you do it, you'll say, 'Give thanks to God.' Call out his name. Ask him anything! Shout to the nations, tell them what he's done, spread the news of his great reputation!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!