Friday, October 3, 2008

Of good tears and sad tears

Wow! I don't when I've shed so many tears in one afternoon - some good tears and some sad ones. I've heard a story somewhere that God saves our tears in a bottle and presents them back to us as jewels when we receive our crowns in heaven. It's just a story, but I know God sees our tears. One of my favorite songs says, "Tears are a language God understands. He sees the tears of the brokenhearted soul. He sees my tears, and hears them when they fall."

I cried because I talked to my son today - on his 37th birthday - after almost five months of no communication with him whatsoever. I called him this afternoon and was brokenhearted when he didn't answer. I left him a tearful birthday voicemail, but had no expectation that he would return my call. He did! Less than an hour later he called me at my brother's phone number that had shown up on caller ID. Then I shed a gallon of good tears - tears of joy for hearing from him after all these long months, tears of sadness for the circumstances that exist between him and his little family, and tears of thankfulness for the precious gift of that little baby boy 37 years ago today.

I cried because I heard a song that reminded me how much I miss the sweet group of people I made music with for the many years we praised the Lord together. The song was "Gentle Shepherd," that we have sung together so many, many times. And believe me, we need the Gentle Shepherd to lead us, to come and feed us, and help us find our way!

I cried with my brother as he sat and wept as he listened to some wonderful gospel music that touched his heart talking of heaven and Jesus' precious gift. I went and sat beside him and just hugged him and held his sweet hand as we cried together through the song.

I cried because my once strong, confident brother can no longer hold a spoon or a glass of milk in his hand. Because his right foot was so numb this morning that he nearly collapsed and fell down in the kitchen as he poured his cereal into a bowl. Because of the utter and desperate frustration on his face as he tried to think of the word "appliance," and it just would NOT come.

Won't it be wonderful when there is no more sorrow, no more tears, no more sadness, no more pain or disease or death. I am looking forward to that day!

MY TEXT FOR TODAY: Rev. 21:2-6

And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them as their God; they will be his people, and God himself will be with them; he will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away."

And the one who was seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true." Then he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life. Those who conquer will inherit these things, and I will be their God and they will be my children.

FROM "The Message:"

I saw Holy Jerusalem, new-created, descending resplendent out of Heaven, as ready for God as a bride for her husband. I heard a voice of thunder from the Throne: "Look! Look! God has moved into the neighborhood, making his home with men and women. They're his people, he's their God. He'll wipe away very tear from their eyes. Death is gone for good - tears gone, crying gone, pain gone -- all the first order of things gone." The Enthroned continued, "Look! I'm making everything new. Write it all down -- each word dependable and accurate.

Then he said, "It's happened. I'm A to Z. I'm the Beginning. I'm the Conclusion. From Water-of-Life will I give freely to the thirsty. Conquerors inherit all this. I'll be God to them, they'll be sons and daughters to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!