Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Back in California

Well, here we are back in california. I forced myself out of bed at 4:00 Monday morning and my hubby drove me to my sister's in Hillsboro. She and I left Hillsboro at 7 a.m. and arrived at my brother's in Angwin a few minutes before 7 p.m. last evening. We stopped in Salem for breakfast, fueled up in Grants Pass and ate a late lunch in Andersen (just south of Redding). The weather was beautiful and the trip was pleasant and uneventful.

The minute we walked in the door at my brother's we noticed things were different. Dick barely acknowledged our arrival and the spark in his eyes was gone. He has had a tough past few days - has almost totally lost the use of his right hand and his speech has greatly deteriorated. He struggles to say more than two consecutive words, and spoke only a few words the entire evening on Monday - it is obviously frustrating for him to even try. My sis and I were devastated at the decline. Later we were told that he had spilled an entire tumbler of iced tea on himself just a couple of hours before we arrived and had a major meltdown as a result. It's so horribly painful to admit to oneself that you're losing it, I mean REALLY losing it!

Monday morning before we arrived, Dick was attempting to pour himself a glass of milk, and poured it all over the counter (he uses milk to take one of his particularly nasty-tasting medications). He leaned his head against the fridge and wept - the progressive loss of the use of his right hand has been extremely difficult, since he is so completely right-handed. Poor baby has lost SO MUCH!

Monday afternoon Dick had an MRI, which will show the progression of the tumor (or lack thereof, if we could be that fortunate). We will get the results next Monday at his doctor's appointment. We continue to pray for a healing miracle, but are completely trusting in God's all-knowing love and mercy. But having said that, I have to say - this is NOT easy. Gut-wrenching doesn't begin to describe it.

The bright spot from today is that a long-time friend and co-worker of Dick's came by today to visit. I mean, these guys are hilarious together, even under the circumstances. They finish each other's sentences and exchange these knowing glances that only two close intimate friends can share. The friend asked if there were things he could do for us while he was here. What an angel! He was busy as a flea on a hot griddle all day. He helped to load two engines for a couple of guys who came to buy some of Dick's automotive treasures. He also cut up a giant pile of scrap wood that my sister and I then stacked onto a pallet. We'll use the wood for campfires in the firepit in the backyard. Dick loves a fire! We spend many hours reminiscing and just sitting quietly together, sometimes in the early morning, or on many evenings. We've made some fantastic memories together by the fire.

Would you believe I went off and left my Bible on the kitchen table at home where I had laid it when I got home from church on Sunday. I was afraid I had left it, and sure enough, when I unpacked my things today it wasn't there. My sweet husband says he'll head to the Post Office tomorrow and get it sent off to me. They have a dozen Bibles here, but you know how it is - I need my own Bible. I feel a little lost digging around in a Bible other than my own.

Thanks to all of you who have been faithful to suffer through my ramblings, and for your prayers without ceasing. I can't fathom how anyone could get through a situation of this type without having Jesus and precious friends and family to lean on. You are so dear to bear my burdens and walk this path with me and my family.

Love you all!
XOXO

MY TEXT FOR TODAY: Proverbs 3:5-8 (The Message)

"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume that you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil!

"Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life!"

Here it is again from the NIV:
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be a healing for your flesh and a refreshment for your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!