Friday, November 21, 2008

Time Marches On

It's been more than a week since I sat myself down at my laptop and shared some thoughts with y'all. How does the time slip away from me like this?

Thankfully, Dick has been feeling better for the past few days. Of course, he had another infusion treatment today, which usually knocks the props out from under him a bit. He was pretty pooped when he and Nancy got home around 5:00 this evening. He pretty much headed for the couch and crashed. He slept for almost 3 hours before he woke up to eat a bite. Unfortunately, he gets to feeling better just in time for another treatment - a complaint registered by many cancer patients undergoing chemo.

The other night just after everyone went to bed, we were lounging in our beds chatting and reading. We heard conversation from across the hall in Dick & Nancy's bedroom, and then we heard my brother crying. I decided to eavesdrop a little, and heard my brother say, "I think Joylin (his daughter) will take it the hardest. You (Nancy) are ready because you're here every day, but not Joylin. And she's my 'girlie.'" He went on to say that he wants Nancy to tell his children and hers that he loves them and he's their Dad. (More crying and tears.) And then he said, "Oh well, it's just one step closer to heaven."

I was already crying, and that sent me into body-shaking sobs. Wow! Think about it. What must it be like to face the stark reality of your own mortality every single day. Sometimes I sit and look at him and wonder what's going through his mind. I know he thinks about it, but hearing him say it really drives it home!

So, tomorrow we fly home for Thanksgiving. We are leaving Dick & Nancy's around 10 a.m. and will have lunch in Sacramento with our cousin, Sam. He will take us to the airport around 3:30 and we'll leave my sister's car at his house. We'll have it there to drive home when we fly back on December 3.

Holidays are not as jubilant and happy as they once were. Sandi's family is broken apart, and her children are suffering so horribly, and acting out. Steven has moved to another job location - we have no idea where he is. A couple of months ago he told me he was heading for California, but has told his wife he's working in Kansas. Trust me, it's no fun for a Mom not to know where her child is - Dad isn't enjoying it all that much, either! Susan and family are scheduled to have Thanksgiving with Joe's family this year, so we lose on that front.

Enough whining, already! We have so much to be thankful for, and in spite of everything God has been so faithful and so good. And we will treasure the time we have with those of our loved ones who are able to be with us to give thanks.

I love you all!
XOXO

MY TEXT FOR TODAY: 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (KJV)

In every thing give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (Notice it says in every thing, not everything - There's a difference!)

From The Message:

Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This the way God wants you, who belong to Christ Jesus, to live.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!