Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving and other delights

We just got back to Dick's after spending two weeks at home for Thanksgiving. We flew home on November 22 and got back yesterday, December 3. The time at home was so great, but went by so quickly. I spent the first couple of days just vegging out. Darrell & I did some fun shopping at our favorite thrift stores, and did the necessary shopping for our family's Thanksgiving dinner items. We always have our holiday dinner on the Saturday after Thanksgiving day. It's just easier when your kids are grown and have inlaws - a whole lot less stressful for everyone. Not to mention the fact that turkeys and trimmings are often on sale the day after Thanksgiving!

Our dinner this year was a little bittersweet - so much sadness and strife going on in the family right now, with our daughter's ugly divorce and the fact that we aren't even certain where our son is these days. It does tend to take the glint off the holiday glow. Christmas will likely be more of the same. However, we decided not to let the negative circumstances steal our joy. We were thankful and treasured the company of the loved ones who were there with us. We enjoyed a wonderful day with Darrell's brother, our daughter and her four kids, my mom and my sis. There were ten of us around our table and we had a blessed time together.

I have to tell you about something I did the week before we left to go home for Thanksgiving. Remember the story I told about the sweet girl I met on the plane a few weeks ago who had lost her father-in-law to suicide? Well, I was almost haunted remembering her sweet, sad face as we talked during the flight. The Holy Spirit kept pestering me about getting in touch with her (But Lord, I don't even know her last name!). So I finally gave in and did a little online sleuthing. I found the Dad's obituary in the Oregonian - His was the only death listed on the date in question. So now I had a last name for Leah. Then I searched further and actually found an address and phone number for her and her husband, Chris.

I bought a couple of cards that I felt might be appropriate (it's not easy to find a card that fits when someone has taken their own life!), but it took four days before I had the courage to actually get one sent in the mail to her. I prayed for a very long time before composing a note to enclose with the card. I worried that Leah might think I was a weird stalker or something, but I mailed the card and held my breath.

On Saturday morning before we left for the airport to fly home, I made one last check of my email, and there it was - a message whose subject was simply, "Wow!" and it was from Leah! I burst into tears when I saw her name, and opened her message. She was so precious and very impressed that I had gone to the effort to search and actually identify and find her last name and then to find her address. She shared in detail what the family is going through - the unending questions and the digging for answers. It's heartbreaking to hear, but I was so encouraged that she opened up to me and didn't regard me as some kind of weirdo. Thank you for your prayers for Leah and her family. This holiday season will be a particularly hard time for them, I'm sure.

Now for the really encouraging news: My brother is doing so well, and we are so thrilled. This new chemo combination seems to really be helping him. He's feeling so much better, his speech has improved and he walks totally without dragging his right foot (until the end of the day when he's tired). We don't know if this is the beginning of a healing miracle or just that the medicine is temporarily shrinking the tumor. Either way, it's truly a miracle and we are rejoicing - so thankful that his symptoms have improved, even if that's all it is. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

Another new development: While we were at home Dick & Nancy got two new darling baby kitties. Well, they actually aren't babies - more like young teenagers. "The boys," as they refer to them, are such a blessing - therapy kitties, in reality. What a kick in the pants to watch them attack and roll around, wrestling, kicking and play-biting. Their names are Fritzie and Charlie (actually, Charlotte, but I just can't bring myself to call a boy kitty Charlotte - My brother's wacky idea!). At any rate, they are precious and everyone adores them both.

I am so thankful for each of you who faithfully reads my ramblings and is out there pulling for us and praying every day. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

I love you all!
XOXO

MY TEXT FOR TODAY: Psalm 118:23-24, 29 (LB)

This is the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous to see. This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is so Good! For his lovingkindness is forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!